SOLWorld

Sharing and building Solution Focused practice in organisations

Hi folks - had an interesting one this week about how deeply my SF learning as gone and the speed at which I can work.

I notice a relationship about learning a skill and how quickly/slowly this becomes "my style" ( I hang around with a lot of musicians and see this in action). I've learnt my coaching approach through donkey's years of individual work (Rogerian - I used to be a Social Worker), supporting managers in difficulty (god knows what I was using here - some best practice/common sense HR approach) and other coaching models. Over the last couple of years it's the SF stuff which floats my boat fro reasons that you'll understand.

I have a format for the SF coaching which won't be unfamiliar to you. Over the last couple of weeks I've been working with a director in a medium sized private company who seems VERY HUNGRY for his own learning and really likes to work fast. The 90 mins goes very quickly and we seem to be working on 6 things at once. As well as helping him to be fully aware and utilising his leadership strengths he is seeking different ways of understanding his situation and in many ways wants a chance to consider the leadership models that are out there (this will probably lead me onto another thread - why am I disappointed when I'm not as SF as I'd like to be....)

The thing is that I've got no time to reflect with this guy, no time to frame questions as carefully as I'd like, it just comes blurting out - in jazz music terms it's an improvisation rather than a structured solo (and I'm perhaps more comfortable with a bit of both)

It's going really well though - he and his company love it and I'm likely to get further work : - )

Anyone else relate to this? Best hopes - I don't know, just want to hear that others have experienced this and get their thoughts

Views: 110

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Phil
You say he's hungry for his own learning and likes to work fast - and that is precisely what he is getting from your skilled improvisations with him. And they love it. Sounds good all round.
Perhaps one way of adding your more reflective questions is to have one or two in mind before the session begins, and see how they manifest themselves during the conversation?
Cheers, Paul
Thanks Paul - yes I think you're right...Like a lot of motivated clients I have he does want to check from time to time that he is being a "good coachee". This prompts me to do even more affirming and feedback about how well he's doing. Quite often this comes after a period of tension around (a rare) moment of silence

Cheers

Phil
Hi Phil
How about creating more moments of silence by taking a short break towards the end of the session (as Steve and Insoo did and many SF therapists and some coaches do). To give you both time to reflect and for you to spend a few minutes gathering your thoughts and deciding on further affirms and feedback.
All the best
Janine
Hiya - yes I'm seeing him tomorrow and will give it a go

For me the work has highlighted three areas, one of which relating to Janine's post

- my fairly narrow comfort zone in terms of pace - it's quicker than I've got time to think about and therefore I'm just being. When am I at my most comfortable about this? Is it comfort I'm seeking?

- my client has said that he wants to change his approach. By working at this breakneck speed he is doing what he always does

- In Honey and Mumford terms I'm a bit of a reflector and I value the H and M work and Kolb too. He doesn't seem to want to reflect - who am I to tell him that it's good for him?

It's fun

Phil
Hi
I was thinking in the same line as Janine Steve de Shazer was also a jazz musician and i remember him saying there are no music without silences.
Cheers Agneta

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Notes

Jumpstart into Solution Focus

You want to learn more about "Solution Focus"?

You prefer a "step by step" introduction instead to start with reading some
voluminous books?

You would appreciate to have a complete "helicopter view" on SF after the first step…

Continue

Created by Hans-Peter Korn Dec 25, 2009 at 10:25am. Last updated by Mark McKergow Nov 3, 2014.

Making the most of SOLWorld.ning.com

If you’ve just arrived at SOLWorld.org (the SOLWorld ning group), you may be looking at all the features and wondering where to start.  This note might be helpful…

…

Continue

Created by Mark McKergow Jun 3, 2008 at 4:55pm. Last updated by Jesper H Christiansen Aug 22, 2017.

Open Space at SOLworld conferences

SOLworld Open Space instructions as it was used at the 2011 conference, by Mark McKergow

Continue

Created by Katalin Hankovszky Dec 30, 2015 at 10:18pm. Last updated by Katalin Hankovszky Dec 30, 2015.

SOLWorld Resources

Welcome to the SOLWorld Resources section.  This part of the site features information about the SOLWorld network, our past events and materials from our previous website.  It will take some time to update all the information, so thanks for your patience. 

Information in this part of the site is 'read-only'.  If you want to start discussions, please go to the Forum or Groups. …

Continue

Created by Mark McKergow May 12, 2008 at 4:08pm. Last updated by Mark McKergow Dec 2, 2022.

© 2024   Created by Mark McKergow.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service